Thursday 15 June 2017

Things That Bounce: a story







Ophelia’s knock at the door of Blasted Heath Cottage was answered by Doris, one of the three haggard old crones who had a reputation in those parts for preparing strange concoctions in their cauldron and issuing misleading advice to passers-by.

“Do come in”, said Doris. “We’ve just made up a new brew in the cauldron and we’d love you to sample it, just to see what effect it has”.

Ophelia gladly accepted the first invitation, but declined the second.

“What can we do for you?” asked Mabel who, if anything, was even more gaunt and haggard than Doris. “As you know, our advice can always be trusted. We always speak at least one version of the truth, although not necessarily the one that will do you most good.”

“That’s a chance I’ll have to take”, said Ophelia, “but it’s not really advice I’m after”.

“What is it then?” said the third crone, Alice, who was just visible through the smoke from the cauldron. “You don’t want our advice and refuse to sample our new potion, but you must want something? Old bitches like us don’t feature very highly on most people’s lists of folks to drop by on for a jolly little chat.”

“I want an idea,” said Ophelia. “I’m going round everyone I know because Hamlet has started a new writing group at Elsinore Castle - it meets in the library every Friday morning – and he’s set us a challenge that has left me baffled.”

“In what way?” asked Doris.

“The theme he’s set is ‘Things That Bounce’, and I really don’t know what he’s on about.”

“Balls”, said Alice.

“There’s no need to be rude”, said Ophelia. “I only asked.”

“Balls bounce”, said Alice. “Tennis balls, basketballs, footballs …”

“Table tennis balls, volleyballs, even cricket balls”, Mabel added. “They all bounce.”

“I know”, said Ophelia, “but that all sounds a bit too obvious, and I’m not sure that I could write a decent story about table tennis balls or any other sort. That’s why I’m looking for suggestions for other things that bounce.”

“Fortunes”, said Doris. “They can go both up and down. Lots of people have suffered loss of fortune and bounced back up again.”

“And how many people do we know to whom that’s happened?” Ophelia asked. “Shylock pointed out to me that his fortune went in two directions, but after it went down it hardly bounced back up again.”

“Reputations”, said Mabel. “They can bounce”.

“Same problem”, said Ophelia. “You should hear Othello go on about reputation – you can’t stop him. But once his went through the floor there was no upward bounce. All the “reputable” characters in his play ended up dead.”

“So who else have you spoken to?” asked Doris. “Surely someone must have an idea about what can bounce?”

“Well, I did have word with Falstaff”, said Ophelia. “He thought I’d said ‘Thugs That Bounce’ and went on for hours about all the gorillas that have ejected him from every club and pub in Windsor, London and just about everywhere else. He’s far more deserving of the title “The Barred” than our beloved creator.”

“I’ve got an idea”, said Alice, who was quietly stirring the cauldron. “You see this alphabetti spaghetti? Just pick out all the letters you need for ‘Things That Bounce’ and drop them into the cauldron”.

This puzzled Ophelia, but she did as she was asked and selected the sixteen letters that made up the words of the title. She dropped them into the steaming mess of the cauldron and was surprised to see that they did not immediately dissolve. Alice moved her hands across the surface and muttered an incantation. The letters promptly disappeared downwards.

“What’s happening?” asked Ophelia. “How does this help?”

“Don’t worry”, said Alice. “I may be a bitch but you can trust my magic. I’ve put an anagram spell on the letters. They’ll bounce off the bottom of the cauldron and re-appear in a different order. Just wait and see.”

Sure enough, a few seconds later the letters came back into view, but this time they spelled out the words ‘Gaunt Honest Bitch’.

“That’s me”, said Alice. “That should give you an idea for your story.”

“Thank you”, said Ophelia, “I think it has!”


© John Welford


No comments:

Post a Comment